Friday, May 9, 2014

The Semester is Wrapping Up... YES

Yesterday was my last day of classes- HUZZAH!  My students are turning in their final papers and projects to me, then filling out a quick questionnaire about the class before I send them off for the summer!  I'm both happy and a little sad the semester is over, as I had a lot of fantastic students that joined my Comp II class straight from taking Comp I with me in fall.  Next semester I'll have an entirely new batch of students, and I'm already plotting away at what I'm going to keep and change in my classes.

(New Books are rolling in for me!  One of the great things about being a teacher is free copies of writing books from publishers.  I'm considering changing to this book for my Comp II class, as it's much more intellectually and rhetorically stimulating than the current reference guide I use.)
I'm finally getting down to the climbing gym again after dance took over for awhile there.  I think I've climbed twice in the past three weeks- not nearly enough for this lady, especially with climbing goals on the horizon!  I'll be heading out on my trip with Val in less than two weeks, and while I won't be as strong as I would hope to pull on hard stuff, I'm excited to just get outside and climb on real rock.  The constant rain has put a damper on any outside climbing.  Come on, MN- I know you have nice weather in there somewhere!

(Christian and I showing a little matching awesomeness that was NOT planned.  Things like this just HAPPEN when climbing at the Duluth VE... )
Last night I got to have a proud girlfriend moment with Scott at LSC's Honors and Awards banquet!

This crazy guy has had a busy two years, and he's (finally) been getting some recognition for all the hard work he's put in.  He won the Student of the Year Award for the Computer Information Science Department, he won Student Worker of the Year for LSC, and he was recognized as part of the team that won state and went to regionals for the Computer Cybersecurity Defense Competition!  All of this while working 20 hours a week at his Computer Security job (and 20 hours working at the college as their lead student computer guy) and balancing a 4.0 GPA with 18 credits his last semester.  He works his butt off, and now that school is finally wrapping up for him, it's nice that he's getting a little oomph before he heads in to finals week! Maybe I'll be able to go on a date with him sometime soon... ;)
I don't know if I can talk about the knitting right now.  I want to finish the giraffe SO BADLY before the special showing, and I know if I let the giraffe linger for too long, I'm going to get behind on knitting the Octopus for Stacey's gift.  There's a lot left- all the limbs, the spots, the fuzzballs (there's a lot of fuzzballs)... only a super big push could allow me to finish this before May 17th, and I may not have time for that push since I have to finish grading and entering grades by next week on Wednesday.
I could if I really went for it.
Like, really went for it.
My schedule doesn't condone it- tonight I'm heading to the Twin Cities hangout time with my brother and friends.  I might have to bring the giraffe with to the cities, even though he's on the larger side.  It might be worth it.  If I can finish the all limbs this weekend, I have a fighting chance of getting him done.
Maybe.
We'll have to see... ;)

3 comments:

nancy88 said...

Congrats to Scott! Some great accomplishments!

You can finish the knitting. If I know you at all, you can finish the knitting. Go, Go, Go!!!!!!

:)

Mark said...

We were hoping you might have a photo and blog synopsis on Scott's graduation with notes on all those honors. Brings back memories of your high school when you got top honors at the end for theatre and band. But you had too much fun to get a 4.0 while working that many hours. And even without fun that's more to accomplish than seems possible. Uff-da! What a run!

Mark said...

We were hoping you might have a photo and blog synopsis on Scott's graduation with notes on all those honors. Brings back memories of your high school when you got top honors at the end for theatre and band. But you had too much fun to get a 4.0 while working that many hours. And even without fun that's more to accomplish than seems possible. Uff-da! What a run!