Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Sick Leave: Done

The last time I wrote was after a particularly hectic week at work, mostly concerning a ton of grading, student projects and presentations turned in at the same time, and choreographing frantically for dance all at the same time.  Needless to say, it all turned out fine, but I was mildly frazzled in the process.
Honestly, it was mostly bad planning on my part.
Well, a hint of procrastination may have added to that.
Connected to the grading.
Anyhow.
Right as I was getting my feet under me again this weekend, I came down with the flu.  Not the gross stomach flu, just the super dizzy hot-cold need-to-snooze a lot variety.  It probably could have been much worse, so I'm happy it was as tame as it was.  I was zonked through most of the weekend and up through yesterday.
The only good thing about being sick was my ability to chug through boring knitting.  Hence, 3 of the 4 Ninja Turtle golf club covers are done, and the fourth is on the needles.  Here's to mindless knitting when my brain can't handle anything more than knit 2 purl 2!
This morning was the first morning I finally woke up feeling good.  Instead of tea, I made a giant pot of coffee, and my first sip was amazing.  Class went exceedingly well, and I got more done at work this morning than Saturday through Tuesday combined.  
The trend continued after I left school.  I hit up the bank, the grocery store, Target, and even stopped at Michael's to grab some Halloween do-it-yourself stuff before scooting home to throw in laundry, clean the house, do the two loads of dishes in the sink (which amazingly don't get done much when I'm down and out... hmmm...), and take some pics of the gorgeous indian summer going on outside.
Oh, and of the yarn I'm going to use for one of Scott's Christmas hats!  
Can you tell I have fall on the brain right now?
I've actually started on the other hat already, but I'm not terribly far on that one since I can only pull it out when he's not around.  I wasn't functional enough to be sneaky while I was sick, so I may have to knit that a different time...
More exciting news- one week from today, I'm leaving for the Red River Gorge in Kentucky for a girls' climbing weekend!  I'm so excited!!!  I've only been climbing in the Gorge once forever ago, so this is going to be a fantastic return.  Fall is one of the best times to go, and I'm going with a supremely awesome group of ladies this time around.  It's going to be wicked sweet!
In that vein of thinking, I'll be doing a couple of posts on here of certain dance moves and dance training that I do which would be beneficial to climbers.  Heads up for when they appear- they're not easy!
Off to be even more productive this evening.  It feels so good to be better and back at it. :)

3 comments:

Mark said...

Liked Red Gorge difficulty chart showing mostly 5.11's, then 5.10's, then 5.12's, and more of those 3 by far than any other ratings. Reminded me of ski areas with a high % black diamond runs. I'm thinking 5.13 would be double black diamond. Good analogy?

Mark said...

Liked Red Gorge difficulty chart showing mostly 5.11's, then 5.10's, then 5.12's, and more of those 3 by far than any other ratings. Reminded me of ski areas with a high % black diamond runs. I'm thinking 5.13 would be double black diamond. Good analogy?

Katie said...

Dad- I think I'd have to agree with that rating, though when you fall on a 5.13 you're caught. If you mess up on a double black diamond, you're in for a nice tumble down the hill and a complimentary trip to the Ski Patrol... :)