Monday, May 20, 2013

Cabin Fever Cupcakes

I've never been good at the whole "recovery" thing.  When I had my kidney infection a few years ago, I definitely went climbing when I was supposed to be in bed, all the while insisting that "I just won't fall!", and wearing my extra-padded big wall harness (as if that would do anything).
I've been trying to be better with this recovery, since things inside me need to heal properly.  I tried doing some sit-ups yesterday, and quickly discovered those were a bad idea.  Today I teach dance in the evening, so that will be my deciding factor on fitness. Being home most of the day due to rain, though, drove me a little stir-crazy.  Stir-crazy as in the house is clean, bathroom scrubbed, bed made, kitchen wiped down, laundry is done and put away.  To fill a little more time, I decided to go on a baking adventure!

I found a fun-looking recipe on Pinterest for Lemon Cupcakes with Raspberry Frosting, and got to baking.  I actually really enjoy baking, especially when I can surprise people at the dance studio with tasty treats!

It was a little chilly in the apartment this morning, so having the oven on was a great way to warm things up (and make it smell great!).

After the cupcakes came out of the oven, I left them to cool for about an hour or so.  I have personal experience with frosting melting off of still-warm cupcakes, so I knew better this time, and left them until they were completely cool.  This gave me time to do all the crazy cleaning mentioned above...

When it was time, I made the frosting.  I have to admit, I was a little nervous about this part- frosting can be so bad if you make it wrong.  This stuff turned out great, and with fresh raspberries, it was really tasty!

The recipe is great, though I do have a few things I plan on changing for next time (ending up with about three times as much frosting as needed is one thing).  Maeby joined me during the frosting portion, and helped out in her own way.  This involved a lot of rolling around on her back on the floor, looking up at me, and meowing loudly for tummy rubs.  No shame, that one.

I still have a couple of hours left before dance.  I think I might make a giant to-do list of projects and ideas for the summer, since that always helps me stay focused and not feel like I'm drifting around like a ping-pong ball...
And while I do that, I'm going to have a delicious cupcake.  :)

Om nom!

No comments: