Sunday, January 20, 2013

Inside Time

After any form of snow, the temperature usually drops quite a bit.  In January in northern Minnesota, it drops a lot.
Take today, for instance.  It snowed about 4-5 inches on Friday, and snowed a bit on and off yesterday.  Last night, the temperature started to drop from 25, helped along by the wind.  I woke up this morning to the temp reading -6, and it hasn't budged.

Tomorrow the high is supposed to be -5, low of -17 (not counting windchill), best case scenario.
Just for fun (and to test my new mukluks), I may go out for a brisk walk tomorrow afternoon. :)
In the meantime, I have lesson planning and grading to check off my to-do list, not to mention cleaning the apartment a bit and getting around to projects I always mean to but don't have time for.
In between it all, I've been steadily working on some knitting!

After a couple of false starts, I finally got the lace edging started on the Kleio shawl.  I have 500-600 stitches on the edge, and it's very very slow going getting through the lace.  It took a few attempts to finally get the hang of it, and it's going faster, but it's still just... slow.
It's really pretty, and it'll look really nice when it's done...

but it's very fiddly, and is easily going to take a few hours minimum.  This may be a good time to start Game of Thrones... I've been meaning to try that series out.  Or more CSI.  Or the entire Harry Potter movie set.
I also was able to swatch for The Dude sweater!

Most of you that know me know that I loathe despise hate don't like swatching, so the fact that I swatched for this project shows how much I really want to make sure it goes well.  I have a deal with myself- as soon as I finish the edging on the Kleio shawl, I get to cast on for the Dude sweater.  It's knit with super-bulky wool on size 10 needles, so hopefully (fingers crossed here) this project won't take too long... a couple months, tops...
All right, I'm out of coffee and I have a mirror that needs to get hung in the bedroom.  Time to get some inside stuff done. :)

No comments: