Saturday, September 29, 2012

Balance and FO: Wine Cowl

Fall thus far has been all about finding a good balance.  I have to spend time lesson planning, grading, helping students, answering emails, and keeping track of the administrative bits as I teach.  Additionally, dance has started up again this year, and I added two classes on to my 3 competition lines.  This alone keeps me exceedingly busy.  
On top of that, my routine has gotten more regimented!  I'm running at least 3 miles 3 days a week, and I'm climbing 3 days a week on the days I'm not running.  It's a lot, but with so much giving to school and dance lately I realized that I have to make time for myself.  Climbing and running have become my "me" time, bringing me reflective time (running) and forcing me to be utterly in the moment (climbing hard).  I've gotten a lot stronger climbing-wise, and I'm attributing a lot of it to adding small workouts to my daily routine and sticking to them!  It also felt good this week to go shopping for new pants, since all this running means I went down an entire pant size!
Knitting has suffered a little in this whole affair- school doesn't allow me much idle time, and all of my other activities are athletically very involved.  Nights are becoming my only time to knit, unless a long car ride gives me a second option!
Despite all the business, I was able to finish another Christmas gift for an unnamed recipient!
Pattern: Lilac Wine, available for free on Ravelry.
Yarn: 3 skeins of Blue Sky Alpaca in sport weight.  It's a beautiful dark wine color- perfect for fall and winter!
Needles: Size 7 in the Denise Interchangable
Time Frame: August 23-September 25.  It really shouldn't have taken that long, but again I haven't had a lot of time for knitting lately.
Modifications: None.  Knit one, purl one for a million years- pretty simple.  I did cast off with Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind-off; it's one of my favorite ways to end a cowl.
Worst Part: Nothing, really.  Crazy-easy pattern and great wool makes it hard to find a "worst".
Best Part: I LOVE LOVE LOVE the color- this dark wine will go with anything, and it'll be great for the rest of the year!
Fall is in full color up here in Duluth, and there couldn't have been a prettier backdrop for my project pics! :)

No comments: