Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Studying

It's that time of year here at my house- studying. The end of the semester approaches, along with paper deadlines, proposals, and a new one for me this year- job-hunting for a teaching position for next year. I'm spending a lot of time doing this:
just me and my little laptop and a large pile of books and articles and notes and outlines.
I was able to take a small study break to watch my UMD BULLDOGS win their very first NCAA National Championship! Having been brainwashed to be a hockey fan from birth, this was a really exciting event, resulting in much cheering and screaming and nail-biting. It was a close game the entire time, with UMD scoring the winning goal in overtime! I think I typed about three sentences on my paper during the game before setting my laptop aside to avoid it flying off my lap from excitement. :)
When my brain needs a shift, I transfer from one type of studying over to another:
I've never done big wall climbing before, and I'm reading up on all the techniques and tricks that I'll be practicing all through May (after graduation) and June before I leave for Yosemite for my big summer climbing trip. On top of that, I'm training in some way, shape or form everyday for climbing this summer.
The only difficult thing about all this studying I need to get done is how nice the weather has gotten in the last few days. It's been up to 60 degrees, sunny, light breeze... perfect outdoor climbing weather, or really outdoor-anything weather. I'm bike-commuting everywhere now- only my once-a-week trip to B&N warrant use of the car. It's helping with my grocery buying (harder to buy big boxes of processed stuff, easier to get a few fruits and veggies for a few days, keep things fresh) plus getting me back in cardio shape (yaaaay Duluth hills!). Unfortunately, it's not nearly enough time outside for me. I keep telling myself... after May 12th graduation, I can be outside as much as I want... :)
I finished the amoeba that was my spring shawl, and it's currently pinned and blocking on my living room floor!
I noticed right away where I got "creative" with the eyelet pattern, but overall I'm really happy with how it turned out. More pictures once it's done drying, but hopefully this is the first of numerous shawls!
Back to studying.
One more month... I graduate in one month... then I can live outside and on the cliffs for awhile...
BAAAAAAAH.....

2 comments:

Samantha said...

When you graduate, we MUST get together and do creative things. I have so many sewing projects to get started!

Mark said...

I'm glad that Bulldog Hockey was included. It fits your "climb on" theme, given their climb to the top with big hurdles along the way. As for that "brainwashing" comment.... it was simply a matter of "early exposure" (you were attending hockey games seated in row 1, safely behind the glass, before you were 6 months old), but I won't mention which team you were asked to root for back then.