Sunday, March 27, 2011

FO: (Non) Blizzard Mittens

Only a few days after I started these fun Lovikka mittens, and they're already felted, embroidered, and keeping my hands warm and snug against the not-quite-spring winds!
I'm really happy with how they turned out, and now I finally have a pair to call my own after making a couple already for presents. I've worn them already, and I'm pretty sure they're going to be one of my new favorite winter pieces!
Pattern: Lovikka mittens from the book Folk Mittens by Marcia Lewandowski.
Yarn: Cascade 220 in a creamy off-white- 1 skein for both mittens. The embroidery is leftover red heathered and purple from other projects, both in Cascade 220.
Needles: 6- pattern called for 7
Made for: Myself! :)
Timeline: March 20-26th, one of my shortest ever for a pair of mittens
Modifications: Went down a needle size from what the pattern calls for, and when picking up 18 stitches for the thumb, I picked up one extra on each side so there wasn't a gaping hole, then after 2 rounds K2tog on those two extra stitches.
Worst Part: Not much- probably the wait to felt it, dry it, and embroider it.
Best Part: How quickly they knit up- the second mitten took about a day!
I also cast on for a spring shawl- and my first shawl ever. :) In bright turquoise, I'm excited with how fast it's knitting up!
Things have been pretty rough for me lately- I went from having the flu earlier this week to catching a cold and sore throat, then yesterday one of my eyes was all puffy and infected. Today both of my eyes are super puffy and infected, pointing to maybe pink eye. Going out in bright sunlight makes my eyes explode in pain, and I'm going in tomorrow to get it checked. So today, not only can I not breath from the cold or swallow well from the sore throat, I can't even see well. It's like my body wants to get all the sicknesses for the year over with in one big go- or at least that's my reasoning.
Off to do more homework, and maybe have a tiny nap.

1 comment:

Cole said...

LOVE the mittens! the embroidery added such a nice touch