Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Ridiculousness

The semester has really been picking up speed, and while I haven't drowned yet, I'm barely keeping my head above water with all the things I'm balancing.
Yesterday was one of the first days I simply got away from my office at school and my desk at home to a new venue to work- a local eatery called Burrito Union.
With a breakfast Vegetarian Burrito bursting with eggs, salsa, potatoes and veggies, I was able to get a lot of work done while not feeling stifled by my surroundings. I think the key is to switch up what's going on around me to keep myself focused more.
I'm thinking more and more about next year and the way I want my life in general to go, since applications for PhD school are due soon and I need to either get rolling on that or let myself breathe a little. I want my PhD, and will eventually get it in my life, but I'm starting to wonder if I should go out and experience a little of the world first while I'm young, unattached, and my body is able to handle a lot of abuse.
It doesn't help that a buddy and I sat down and listed all of our goal climbing destinations. His list included the intimidating Moonlight Buttress route in Zion National Park- hundreds of feet of just splitting finger cracks. As a free climb, it rates at 5.12d. Although crack climbing is my bread and butter, I still have to work a 5.12 for a long time, so this will be a big step if I free the whole climb too. If I'm going to be accompanying him, I'd rather push my ultimate limits and free it myself, instead of jumaring up the tough sections. Time to start training... ;)
In the meantime, back to working hard on everything else.
Good thing I got burritos to back me up. :)

No comments: